Sunday, May 6, 2012

Perspective Can Suck It!

I'm the first to admit every once in awhile I need a good dose of reality.  It keeps me grounded; it helps remind me of what is important in life; it makes me remember that the little things are just as important as the big ones. 

What sucks is when I get slammed over the head with a dose of reality that makes me just want to curl up.  This week I got one of those.   A good friend of my parents passed away.  She was an amazing lady with a contagious laugh, and she had a family that loved her to pieces.  What made this one even harder is she went from healthy to gone in 6 months.  6 months.  That's nothing...it's half a school year, it's two seasons.  6 months.

What it did for me is remind me how precious time is.  How when all is said and done, I don't want to look back and realize I've wasted the gift of time.

The ironic part is this lesson came at a time when I needed it.  I've caught myself working "just a few minutes later" every night - which means I have a few minutes less with hubby and kids.  I'm saying more frequently "not right now" when my girls are trying to tell me something.  I'm trying so hard to keep all the balls in the air that I'm forgetting to pay attention to all the things that keep the ground solid below me - family, friends, giggles and hugs.

How the perspective is doled out can really suck - hopefully the lesson is not lost in the delivery.  For me, it will be about asking the 5 year question - in 5 years will I really remember the extra hours I put in at work?  Probably not.  I may remember the amazing walk to the park where the kids spun on the tire swing though.  Perspective.

Thank you to an amazing lady who reminded me of how precious time is.  R.I.P Heidi.

     

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear of your lose Julie. Sometimes you need to lose someone special to gain something even more special! She is now your and her family's guardian angel!

    ReplyDelete